Sunday, December 28, 2008

11Sep1863, Poor Peggies

WINDSOR, Friday, September 11th, 1863.
—Oh dear, I shall sympathize for the rest of my life with poor peggies [FN: I.e. maidservants.] launched at their first place ! To-day has taught me what it is to "feel strange." I am not naturally shy ; and the actual bathing-feel has pretty nearly gone off, but I am unked and forlorn, in spite of everybody's kindness. Ly. Ely took me to the kennels (mem. 16 puppies), the lovely dairy, and to Frogmore, where the mausoleum, which does so jar upon one's English feelings, is still being worked at. The Queen goes there daily. Ly. Ely told me much that was interesting the while. After breakfast we were in the corridor, when the Queen came in with the children. Prss. Louise brought little darling Prss. Beatrice up to me and I kissed her tiny hand. She is not pretty, but has a dear little intelligent face. The little Princes were at the kennels in the aftn, when Miss Stopford and I passed. They called, and we joined them. Prince Arthur is very handsome, if only he looked more like 13 years old ; but he is wonderfully small. Prince Leopold has a funny, waggish face, with the brightest blue eyes ; he is miserably thin and puny, though they think him stronger : Lady Caroline Barrington told me the doctors hardly expect him to live—poor darling ! Miss Stopford told me much about Prss. Louise, whom she has been with at Osborne. H.R.H. seems to be rather naughty, with a mischievous will of her own ; draws beautifully.

Miss S. and I had a pleasant walk, seeing the old porter at the garden gate, and the tombstone to the memory of a magpie he loved. I was afraid the dinner wd be worse than last night, as Miss S. (who begs me to call her Horatia) and Ly. Ely dined with the Queen ; but it was not dreadful ; I had to sweep down the stately interminable corridor all by myself to dinner ; but luckily caught Ly. Caroline. In the evening, Gen. Grey and I, Ly. C. and Gen. Seymour played at whist ! which made the time go pleasantly.

No comments: