Sunday, January 18, 2009

24May1864, Luncheon at Devonshire House

LONDON, Tuesday, May 24th, 1864.
—Bright and fine. The Queen's birthday was kept for the first time since the Prince's death : plenty of illuminations. My Fred came about 1, and took me to luncheon at Devonshire House, which I was glad of in spite of being rather shy, as it got me over some more first steps of acquaintance. I am hardly shy at all with Ly. Louisa now ; my chief awe centres round Lord Hartington, who is very kind to me, however. At luncheon were Mrs. Coke, Emma and May Lascelles. Afterwards F. and I went to Garrard's and got a pretty crystal locket with an emerald cross on it, for Atie. P. to have our hair in. At Dev. House, Papa turned up and gave me a beautiful large gold cross, in which I shall have his dear hair and Mamma's. At 5¼, F. and I, with Willie and Agnes for chaperons ! rode in Rotten Row ; and I thought of our last ride at Hagley. I was on a charming little horse of Ly. L.'s called Snap.

No comments: