Wednesday, May 06, 2009

13Feb1866, The Lower Class and the Upper Class

LONDON, February 13th, 1866.
—I crammed my day pretty full. First did books ; then went to Mrs. Humphrey's who took me to see their capital schools ; mem. especially, a little school held in the roof of a mission-chapel lately built in a squalid street, where they get hold of wretched neglected children. At, 12 I found myself with the Mesd. Talbot in their delightful soup-kitchen, which they have set up in Westminster. Poor people (not beggars) are given tickets, on showing which and paying a sum not exceeding 2d. they get good meat, soup, beef-tea, or pudding of at least twice the value of what they pay. Fred is going to be treasurer. Got home to luncheon, where we entertained Mr. St. Aubyn who is going to be married. May Lascelles came to see me about 4, after which I smiled for a few minutes upon a little tea-business at Auntie P.'s, and then drove off to S. Ann's National Schools, Limehouse, where a most charming, successful "mission tea-party" was held, under the auspices of my dear Miss Lilley, and the other good folk. Was glad to see Sarah Dorrington the 2nd mission woman looking busy and bright, but, alas ! not well. There were 210 women and 49 babies ! I poured out for one table. Had to go off directly after tea, hearing only one chorus, to my grief : but as it was, in spite of getting home by superhuman exertions in 35 minutes, I arrived after 8, with His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, the Secretary of War, the Lord-Lieutenant of Worcestershire, and Mr. Charles Howard, M.P., to entertain at dinner. I was a little jeered. But would not have missed the tea-party.

No comments: